My personal profile summarises my skills. My more detailed career history is outlined below.
Freelance Marketing & Communications Consultant /
November 2012 – Current
- I am currently working with a range of clients (in Germany, the UK, the USA and Denmark) – supporting them to realise their marketing and communications objectives.
- In addition to working I am studying intensive French at the Institute Francais in South Kensington (15 hours a week, mornings).
Head of Marketing & Communications at YSC Ltd
November 2008 – October 2012
From sixteen international offices, leadership consulting firm YSC provides senior level assessment and development, organisational consulting, talent benchmarking, executive coaching and online services. Clients include half of the FTSE100, non-profits and government agencies.
I was originally brought in on a 6-month contract with a remit to:
- grow in-house marketing capability across the firm, including building a team;
- create and deliver a firm-wide marketing plan and marketing / business development toolkit;
- develop channels for internal knowledge transfer and create ‘linkages’ between offices and staff.
Building Marketing Capability
- Founded marketing department in a greenfield site; previously it had been outsourced.
- Created marketing plan focused on: raising YSC’s external profile; creating marketing capital; and building capability to support five geographic regions and four distinct business divisions (consulting; coaching; mid-level assessment and development; and online).
- Hired, developed and performance managed two members of London-based staff.
- Created central repository of firm-wide pitch, tender and presentation resources.
- Responsible for generating more than 30 client case studies, 25+ client testimonials and five video testimonials (at CEO and Group HRD level).
- Established client care and corporate hospitality program with events including Olympic Games, London Fashion Week, Chelsea Flower Show, Picasso Exhibition, among others.
- Significant cross-border marketing experience having supported new office openings in Mumbai (global comms and Indian art event), Mexico City (high profile event at British Embassy Residence, media interviews and comms), Sao Paulo (global comms) and Melbourne (comms).
- Built capability in regions using outsourced partners.
- Conducted market research with clients which revealed strong demand for ‘value adding’ content.
- Conceived, got buy-in and delivered the company’s first magazine – YQ – which focuses on leadership and talent. Initial goal was a readership of 2k and have since grown magazine to a circulation of 10k, delivered through online and offline channels. It has been positively received by clients and the wider industry; examples can be viewed here.
- Repositioned and converted client base into a source of unique capital. Examples include securing high level international client interviews from Charlie Mayfield (CEO, John Lewis, UK), Martin Richenhagen (CEO, AGCO Corp, USA) and Rajiv Lall (CEO, IDFC, India).
- Secured and delivered video interviews with clients including Andy Briggs (CEO, Friends Life), Stephen Page (CEO, Faber & Faber), Gareth Williams (Group HRD, Diageo).
- Secured and delivered client-approved case studies (for magazine publication) including Sainsbury’s, Diageo, Godrej (India), Thomson Reuters, Coutts and Westpac (Australia).
- Negotiated sponsorships and speaking engagements such as securing keynote speech for YSC at The Economist Talent Management Conference.
- Identified significant gap in internal comms arising from staff survey. Conceived and launched internal blog called The YSC Wall which acts as global online forum connecting all 15 offices. In its first year the blog has had: 250+ posts; 400+ comments; and 5m07s average visitor duration.
- Launched and continue to oversee weekly internal news bulletin that goes to all staff called Grapevine.
- Was key part of creative and delivery team behind all-company global conference in 2011.
- Managed complete global website overhaul, on time and on budget. Website traffic up 300% (unique users) after 3 months and BD enquiries (via website) up 40% since launch.
- New website won Silver in the professional services category of 2012 W3 awards.
- Led social media strategy across LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and the YSC website.
- Significant stakeholder management including influencing at the most senior levels internally with managing directors, client directors and country heads across the global business.
- Budget holder for all firm-wide and UK-specific marketing spend.
- Scoping, negotiation and management of all firm-wide marketing related agencies and strategic partners (print, online, PR, lead generation, advertising, media, corporate hospitality, video, etc).
Marketing Manager (Corporate Finance) at SJ Berwin LLP
June 2008 – October 2008
- Full-service pan-European marketing role in top PE practice.
- Part of UK PE marketing team of 4 working closely with wider European PE marketing colleagues.
- Role encompassed BD & marketing communications: sponsorship negotiation (e.g. SuperInvestor); pitch and BD support and advice to partners; award and directory submissions (e.g. Chambers); representing the firm at conferences (e.g. Nordic PE Conference, Stockholm); website updating via CMS; publications & collateral management and rollout; mailshots using firm database (Interaction) and email marketing software (Emerge) including weekly ‘Private Equity Comment’ email; writing press releases and copy for new website; lawyer bios, etc.
Marketing & Communications Manager at Norman Broadbent
December 2004 – June 2008
External Comms and Online
- Full responsibility for external comms including managing the PR agency.
- Managed corporate website including agencies. This included responsibility for website re-launch as part of rebranding in 2007.
- International remit: supported offices in North America and worked closely with offices in Spain.
- Reported into CEO who worked between London and Madrid.
- Coordinated pitches and tender documents, including procurement heavy ones such as Cabinet Office call-off contract for executive search and assessment.
- Had responsibility for driving client satisfaction reviews (capturing client feedback via online questionnaires, collating and summarising data) and feeding these back to leadership team.
- Principle brand custodian including its protection through adherence to brand guidelines.
- Led full global rebrand in 2007 impacting UK, USA, Canada, Middle East, Spain.
Events and Sponsorship
- Full responsibility for events such as 400 person 25 year anniversary party at Somerset House (2007), corporate hospitality, in-house private dining, etc.
- Oversaw profile raising sponsorship activities including conferences (Hunt Scanlon), Awards (Working Families), and corporate sponsorship (Energy Institute; Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport).
- Responsible for all advertising including managing agencies and negotiating pricing. Responsible for building / maintaining strong relationships with target media – Daily Telegraph, Times, FT, trade press.
- Conducted direct marketing supporting various practices with industry updates, mailshots, re-writing text with suitable calls to action, etc.
- Experience of both e-marketing (using pure360 for bulk emailing) and traditional print based DM.
Internal Comms and CSR
- Responsible for producing weekly all-staff news bulletin.
- Principle lead for CSR including pushing through CarbonNeutral status. Also oversaw relationship with NSPCC.
BD Manager, Public Sector Practice at Norman Broadbent
January 2003 – December 2004
- During this period Norman Broadbent’s public sector practice was one of the largest of any UK headhunting firm. I was heavily involved with all elements of the business development process, especially with respect to overseeing tenders and RFPs, coordinating responses, using OJEU to identify opportunities, etc.
Business Information Researcher at Odgers Berndtson
Nov 2000 – December 2002
- Responsible for editing and updating the intranet, co-managing the internal library (of cuttings), performing ad hoc research requests for consultants, and providing pitch packs ahead of all new business development meetings.
Contractor at the Department for International Development
February 2000 – October 2000
- I worked in the Evaluation Department which at this time was studying the UK government’s response to the Montserrat Volcanic emergency.
Advertising Executive at The Guardian/Observer Newspaper
May 1999 – February 2000
- I was responsible for chasing copy for all advertising appearing in The Guardian’s G2 supplement.
- The role involved managing very tight deadlines on a daily basis.
- I also worked on the classified announcements section, including obituaries.
English Instructor at GEOS Corporation, Kansai Region, Japan
January 1998 – January 1999
- Following a 3-day selection centre in London I was hired to work as an English Instructor at a private language school near Osaka in Japan.
- I taught businessmen, university students, other adults and also children. Lesson formats were group, focus group and 1-to-1.